I am at the peak of my youth
A beautiful broken woman
An emotionally devoid woman
An irreparable damage has been done
A life threatening and colossal damage
A damage that cannot be compensated
They hurt me
They hurt me terribly
That day has been forever engraved into my memory
Oh! On that cursed day
My parents had turned their backs on me
Telling me tradition demands it
Tradition? I asked, laughing hysterically
Which tradition? What tradition?
What cruel tradition destroys the dream of a young woman?
I cried, I almost ran out of tears
My heart-wrenching sobs almost made my heart stop beating
The excruciating pain almost made me stop breathing
I have just an identity left now
I am the woman with a broken dream
A victim of Female Genital Mutilation
Bearing the brunt of tradition demand
I will never be the same again.
Written by OKUSUN MERCY
Taking your children to the dentist can often be a dreadful experience. Getting your children comfortable and excited about dental hygiene has been a common struggle for many parents. Finding an easier way to cope with family dentistry and dental hygiene practices does exist and there are steps you can take to keep your child at ease and make your family dentist visits much more enjoyable.
The sooner you make practicing dental hygiene a normal experience, the better. Introducing different experiences and tasks to your child at a young age will bring normalcy to the chore and instil it as a life long routine. This can include having the child watch and mimic your dental routine in the morning and at night.
Find The Fun In Dental Hygiene
If a child finds something fun, they will want to do it again! Read them books, watch videos or even play games that teach your kids about the dentist or dental hygiene. Let them choose their own toothbrush, make a game out of brushing teeth so that they feel engaged with the experience.
Talk To Your Child
Talking to your child about the dentist and dental hygiene is essential. Teach them about why it is important, encourage them to ask questions and continue to make it a topic of conversation. Avoid using words that they associate with fear like shots, hurt, pain, scared etc. If you give indication there is a reason to be scared – then they will be.
Make An Example Of Yourself
Children are creatures of imitation – so show them how to do it. Be an example to them, make a big deal of when you go to brush your teeth, tell them they will be more like mommy or daddy if they do it and they will be more inclined to want to join in.
Find A Family Dentist
Children find comfort in familiarity, therefore having a consistent paediatric dentist will ensure that your child feels more relaxed and safe when visiting. Find someone you trust, but also that your child trusts and they won’t be so scared.
Bring books, music or tablets with you to the dentist for when you are in the waiting room. Distracting them from where they are and keeping their attention will help keep them calm and anxiety of the dentist chair down.
Various factors like smoking, increased consumption of tea/coffee or other colored food products and even aging can lead to the discoloration of teeth.
Teeth whitening/bleaching can be done for the removal of the stains and to restore the natural shade of the teeth. Most of the patients choose this treatment procedure for cosmetic reasons but fear that getting the teeth whitening done at the dentist’s office may cost them more as compared to the ‘At-Home’ variants. The question arises: “Is the process worthwhile?”
Firstly, there are two options available for the patients for tooth whitening:
- Professional tooth whitening or the ‘In-Office’ method
- The ‘At-Home’ method of tooth bleaching: The ‘At-Home’ products can be either prescribed by a dental professional or over-the-counter bleaching products readily available in the market can be used.
In either of the products, the active ingredient is carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. The bleaching agent penetrates the outer layer of the tooth i.e. the enamel and removes the stains and improves the shade of the tooth through the process of oxidation. The ‘At-Home’ tooth bleaching products can be available in the form of whitening gels, pens, strips or even whitening toothpaste. In the chair-side method, the dentist uses professional tooth whitening kits and devices to achieve the optimum shade of the tooth.
Benefits of the ‘In-Office’ tooth whitening procedure:
- A trained dentist performs the ‘In-Office’ type of tooth bleaching. Tooth whitening can be contraindicated in some clinical situations, and a dentist is the best person to diagnose and let you know if you’re a suitable candidate for tooth bleaching.
- The over-the-counter bleaching products used at home mostly come with a universal tray that may not fit well in your mouth and any procedural errors may later lead to side-effects like the sensitivity of teeth, gingival irritation, and others.
- The concentration of the bleaching agents like carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide is greater in the bleaching products used in the chair-side method as compared to the over-the-counter whitening products and other ‘At-Home’ variants. Moreover, laser therapy or application of heat is done in the chair-side method. This technique assists in achieving quick and effective results.
- Tooth whitening is a technique-sensitive procedure, and the ‘In-Office’ method is done under the supervision of the dentist, the latter affecting the success of the treatment.
Is tooth whitening at the dentist’s office cost-effective?
Although the cost of the chair-side tooth whitening procedure is more than the ‘At-Home’ products, they give quicker results, and also the chances of procedural error are minimized.
After the visit to the dentist’s office and the initial diagnosis, the dentist can recommend and advise the patient the correct treatment according to individual circumstances and financial options.
The dentist may also prescribe you a bleaching gel along with a custom tray as the ‘At-Home’ tooth bleaching option. Nevertheless, if you want a whiter and brighter smile that lasts for a long duration of time, then the professional tooth whitening at the dentist’ office can give you the desirable results.
With winter coming up fast heating your house efficiently and affordably is probably at the forefront of your mind. Obviously if your heating and cooling system isn’t working at all you will have to call a professional and they will assess not just your system but the entire house to find the source of the problem.
You could avoid the time and cost doing a full-scale inspection if you knew what certain signs meant. Air ducts might not be the first thing you look at when you check to make sure your heating and cooling system works. While air ducts don’t necessarily break the machine, they make the heating and cooling system you use have to work a lot harder if they are dirty.
Here are a few signs that indicate you should have your air ducts cleaned:
- Dust, debris or matted dust in the vent.
- Fuzzy coating of dust on the air registers.
- The air filter is clogged.
- The blower fan in your furnace is dusty.
- There is dust on your air conditioning coil.
- Someone in your house is experiencing unusual and unexplained symptoms that can be linked to the environment.
- You recently had a vermin infestation.
A study by the U.S. department of Energy concluded that 25-40% of energy used for heating homes is wasted. This is because a dirty system has to work harder, and thus use more energy, to heat a home. So by this measure cleaning your air ducts can reduce your energy expenses by up to 40%.
Cleaning your air ducts is not just about your heating and cooling systems ability to pump air around your home efficiently but also about your health. Dirty air ducts can cause illness and aggravate allergies, which is why it is also a sign you need your air ducts cleaned. Though it is still recommended you see a doctor to make sure those signs aren’t linked to something else.
Your heating and cooling system will also benefit from a prolonged life and fewer expensive repairs because it is not being pushed as hard and there is less wear and tear as a result. The system will work more reliably and, like previously mentioned, effectively.
Cleaning your air ducts regularly is extremely beneficial, it will save you money, make your furnace last longer and keep you healthy.
Writer’s Bio: Kaitlyn is a Canadian writer with a background in communications and film. She enjoys the research process and creative writing element of online publications. When not immersed in her writing, Kaitlyn spends her time studying web development and taking her dog for walks.
1. Improves vision
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene which is converted into vitamin A in the liver. Vitamin A is transformed into the retina, to rhodopsin, a purple pigment necessary for night vision. Beta-carotene has also been shown to protect against macular degeneration and senile cataracts.
2. Slows Down Aging
The high level of beta-carotene acts as an oxidant to cell damage done to the body through regular metabolism. It help slows down the aging cells.
3. Promotes healthier skin
Vitamin A and antioxidants protects the skin from sun damage. Deficiencies of vitamin A cause dryness to the skin, hair and nails. Vitamin A prevents premature wrinkling, acne, dry skin, pigmentation, blemishes and uneven skin tone.
4. Helps prevent infection
Carrots are known by herbalists to prevent infection. They can be used on cuts—shredded raw or boiled and mashed.
5. Promotes healthier skin (from the outside)
Carrots are used as an inexpensive and very convenient facial mask. Just mix grated carrot with a bit of honey.
6. Prevents heart disease
Studies show that diets high in carotenoids are associated with a lower risk of heart disease. Carrots have not only beta-carotene but also alpha-carotene and lutein.The regular consumption of carrots also reduces cholesterol levels because the soluble fibers in carrots bind with bile acids.
7. Cleanses the body
Vitamin A assists the liver in flushing out the toxins from the body. It reduces the bile and fat in the liver. The fibers present in carrots help clean out the colon and hasten waste movement.
8. Protects teeth and gums
It’s all in the crunch! carrots cleans your teeth and mouth. They scrape off plaque and food particles just like toothbrushes or toothpaste. Carrots stimulate gums and trigger a lot of saliva, which, being alkaline, balances out the acid-forming, cavity-forming bacteria. The minerals in carrots prevent tooth damage.
9. Prevents stroke
From all the above benefits it is no surprise that in a Harvard University study, people who ate more than six carrots a week are less likely to suffer a stroke than those who ate only one carrot a month or less.
Ginger is used all over the world in a variety of world cuisines from chili crab, curries to ginger confectionery and ginger biscuits. For over 2000 years, Chinese medicine has recommended the use of ginger to help cure and prevent several health problems. It is known to promote energy circulation in the body and increase our body’s metabolic rate.
Here‘s a list of some of the amazing benefits of ginger that you may not be aware of:
- Combats Stomach Discomfort: Ginger is ideal in assisting digestion, thereby improving food absorption and avoiding possible stomach ache. Ginger appears to reduce inflammation in a similar way to aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Reduce Pain and Inflammation: Ginger contains some of the most potent anti-inflammatory fighting substances known and is a natural powerful painkiller.
- Fights Common Respiratory Problems: If you’re suffering from common respiratory diseases such as a cough, ginger aids in expanding your lungs and loosening up phlegm because it is a natural expectorant that breaks down and removes mucus. That way you can quickly recover from difficulty in breathing.
- Combats Morning Sickness: Ginger has demonstrated a success rate of 75 percent in curing morning sickness and stomach flu.
- Strengthens Immunity: Ginger helps improve the immune system. Consuming a little bit ginger a day can help foil potential risk of a stroke by inhibiting fatty deposits from the arteries. It also decreases bacterial infections in the stomach, and helps battle a bad cough and throat irritation.
- Ovarian Cancer Treatment: Ginger powder induces cell death in ovarian cancer cells.
- Colon Cancer Prevention: A study at the University of Minnesota found that ginger may slow the growth of colorectal cancer cells.
- Cold and Flu Prevention: Ginger has been used for thousands of years as a natural treatment for colds and flu around Asia. TheUniversity of Maryland Medical Center states that to treat cold and flu symptoms in adults, steep 2 tbsp. of freshly shredded or chopped ginger root in hot water, two to three times a day.
- Improves absorption: Ginger improves the absorption and stimulation of essential nutrients in the body. It does this by stimulating gastric and pancreatic enzyme secretion.
- Remedies Motion Sickness. Ginger is a known effective remedy for the nausea associated with motion sickness. The exact reason is unknown, but in a study of naval cadets, those given ginger powder suffered less.
- Maintains Normal Blood Circulation.Ginger contains chromium, magnesium and zinc which can help to improve blood flow, as well as help prevent chills, fever, and excessive sweat.
Men’s skin usually has a large pore and active sebum producing glands. Excess oil production can clog men’s facial pores and cause acne problems. So cleansing is the foremost tip men face care regimen.
Most men prefer bars to liquid cleansers. Bar soaps results into drying out of your skin. If such is a case with you then go for the moisturizing soaps with emollients like glycerin. Also the ones made with vitamin E oil, olive oil, or jojoba oil. And if your skin feels tight or itchy after washing your face, it is advised that you switch over to liquid cleansers. A basic gel also works fine.
If you are prone to acne breakouts, go for soaps or liquid cleansers containing salicylic acid or glycolic acid or benzyl peroxide that suits you. All these three have antibacterial properties, works as exfoliating agents as well and get rid of the upper layers of dead skin resulting into deeper cleansing of facial pores.